Taking the time and effort to prepare healthy dog food at home from scratch is an important chore dog owners take pride in. You know your four-legged friends inside out, their allergies, likes and dislikes, skin conditions, and the strength of their gut. By preparing fresh home-cooked meals, you can be assured he or she gets healthy, unadulterated, wholesome food every day.
You must provide all the necessary proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals, and adequate water that your dog needs every day. Also, cooking meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables well before feeding them is important. This helps kill germs and makes the food easily digestible for your dog. It is important, however, that you consult and follow the advice of the veterinarian before starting your pet on a home-cooked meal.
Meats like chicken, turkey, beef, and tuna, grains like whole wheat, oatmeal, and quinoa, eggs in scrambled, hardboiled, or poached form, cooked vegetables like carrots, peas, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, and kale, and fruits like apples, pears, and bananas are all healthy for dogs. On the other hand, the foods that are extremely unhealthy, even fatal, for your dog include grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, chocolate, avocado, macadamia nuts, caffeine, chives, and salt.
The following are two delicious recipes to make homemade food for your dog:
1. Turkey vegetable rice
This is a meal your dog will absolutely love. It is filled with nutrients and is full of flavor.
- ¼ cup of brown rice
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 of pound ground turkey
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1 cup of broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated potato
- 1 grated zucchini
- ¼ cup of frozen peas
- ¾ cup of water
- Cook the brown rice in water and set it aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the olive oil. Add turkey and cook till it has browned. Crumble it.
- Add the cooked rice, spinach, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and peas.
- Combine everything well and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Let this cool completely before you let your dog enjoy his homemade turkey vegetable rice.
2. Chicken and egg rice
This classic dish is loved by all dogs and is a great for keeping them healthy.
- ½ cup of cooked brown rice
- ½ cup of shredded boneless chicken
- 2 boiled and peeled eggs
- 1 cup your choice of finely chopped vegetables (Top choices include broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach)
- 1 tablespoon of kelp
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 cup of water
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat and add canola oil. Once it is hot, add the shredded chicken into this. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add water and allow it to boil.
- Gradually include the vegetables of your choice to the bubbling water and allow them to cook.
- Once they are thoroughly cooked, add the rice and kelp.
- Crumble the boiled eggs and add this to the saucepan.
- Mix everything well and switch off the flame.
- Let cool and serve immediately.